Collections: Indoor Plants
Betel Leaf Vine (Piper Betel)
Botanical name :
S.N: Piper Betel
C.N: Maghai Paan, Betel Leaf, Tambuli, betel vine plant
Category of plant:
Climbers, Creepers & Vines, Spice plants & edible Herbs, Medicinal Plants, Indoor Plants
Betel leaf/Paan leaf Plant description:
- Betel leaf or Maghai paan belongs to the Pitsporaceae family, which is popularly eaten in India.
- This betel leaf or Paan leaf vine is an Indigenous plant (native to India).
- It is a slender, shade-growing, aromatic creeper plant.
- Betel leaf plant has shiny heart-shaped leaves with spikes of small white flowers that are popular in Southeast Asian cooking.
- An easy to grow plant for beginners.
Climatic conditions and soil type:
- Betel leaf or paan plant loves to grow in moist conditions but did not like water logged conditions(soggy conditions).
- These plants require a moderately humid climate, bright indirect sunlight, well-drained and fertile soil.
- If they are grown in a windy area, they will not be able to survive for long.
Betel leaf Plant habit:
Climbing or growing on support
Betel leaf Plant Specifications:
Plant Height or length:
4 to 6 meters
Pot size (Inches): 3''
Betel leaf/Paan plant care tips:
- The betel leaf or Maghai betel plant requires moderate watering, i.e., can be watered alternately.
- The soil moisture should always be monitored to check the hydration level.
- Cannot tolerate too much water.
- Use any organic manure during the growing season for its good growth.
- Farmyard manure, Vermi-compost@50-100 gram/plant or application of Boon(19:19:19)@5 gram/litre of water can be used.
Betel leaf/Paan plant Special Features:
- These Betel leaves are used in puja, which is a type of prayer.
- It can grow on a trellis, chain link fencing, and stick supports.
- It has a hanging growth habit and requires a farm house or big gardens or farm area to cultivate.
- This variety has a slightly pungent taste.
- These leaves can be chewed as paan, and if consumed after lunch or dinner, they help our digestive system run smoothly.
- Betel leaf plant can be grown successfully as a good ground cover under trees.
Note: Plant comes with germination pot. The image is for representation purposes only. The actual product may vary in height, shape, or appearance.