Collections: Succulents & cactus
Echinocactus Grusonii (Golden Barrel Cactus)
Botanical Name :
S.N.: Echinocactus Grusonii
C.N.: Golden barrel cactus, Golden ball cactus, Mother-in-law's cushion, Barrel cacti
Category of Plant: Cactus
Golden barrel cactus Description :
- Native to North and South America, Echinocactus grusonii belongs to the small genus Echinocactus and commonly referred to as "Barrel cacti."
- A globular entity, this green coloured cactus forms a barrel-shaped stem with prominent ribs adorned with areoles sprouting golden spines.
- Golden Barrel Cactushas a single slowly growing globe-shaped stem which may eventually reach over 1 metre (3.3 ft) in height after many years.
- This cylindrical cactus has sharp long, straight or slightly curved spines, and are in shades of yellow or white.
- The bright yellow flowers (2 inch wide) are produced from end of spring to summer only on larger mature specimens on receiving full sun.
- Over time, this oblong shaped cactus tends to lean to the south so that the spines can better protect the body from the sun.
- With age, Golden barrel cactus produce offsets at small size.
Golden barrel cactus climatic conditions and soil structure:
Golden Barrel Cactus can survive in extreme hot temperatures
- Full sun or a partial shade is required for its good growth.
- Barrel cacti plants thrive best in warm temperatures and lots of sunlight.
- It prefers fertile, moist, and well-drained soil.
- Max height: 2 feet
- Max width: 2 to 3 feet
Pot size: 6"
Plant Habit: Rigid, Compact, cylindrical, barrel-shaped
Echintocactus grusonii (Golden Barrel Cactus) Care Tips:
- Water Golden Barrel Cactus only when the soil dries out completely.
- Just like Cactus and other succulent plants, Golden Barrel Cactus also require more water in summer and less in winters.
- Overwatering can kill the plant.
- They grow best in high to low humidity.
- Drought tolerant.
- Feed with a high potassium fertilizer during their active growth in spring and summer.
- Golden Barrel Cactus are generally disease free. But regular check for spider mites and mealy bugs is required.
Echintocactus grusonii (Golden Barrel Cactus) Special Features -
- Echintocactus grusonii (Golden Barrel Cactus) are low-maintenance plants, thus suitable for beginners.
- Toxic to pets and humans.
- Its terrific texture, colour, and shape make a spectacular plant for landscapes.
- Great for Rock garden, Succulents gardens, Desert garden or in decorative containers too.
- Golden Barrel Cactus' flowers produce nectar which attract birds and bees.
- These plants can be easily propagated by stem cutting or through seeds.
Note: The plant comes with a germination pot or bag (Pot size Approx. 4 to 6 inches). The image is for representation purposes only. The actual product may vary in height, shape, or appearance.