Botanical name: Strobilanthes alternata or Hemigraphis alternata, Hemigraphis colorata
Common Name: Red Ivy, Red Flame Ivy, Metal Leaf, Purple waffle Plant
Category of the plant:Shrub (Herbaceous, Creeper), Perennial Plant
Hemigraphis colorata or Red Ivy Description
Hemigraphis alternata, commonly called hemigraphis or sometimes red ivy, is a tropical perennial commonly grown as a houseplant or as an outdoor annual.
- The Hemigraphis specimen has beautiful attractive silvery green to purplish coloured leaves.
- The stems of the plant are prostrate and purplish and the leaves are silvery green, opposite, ovate, with a somewhat blunt tip and rounded and heart-shaped base.
- Glossy, leathery leaves have purple leaf tips and the underside and are deeply veined with toothed leaf margin.
- Native to Indonesia & cultivated in India, this purple waffle plant has off-white, trumpet-shaped flowers with 5 round lobes and purple streaks in the throat.
Climatic Conditions and Soil Structure:
Hemigraphis colorata or Red Ivy survives in hot temperatures but cannot tolerate cold temperatures.
Red ivy plant care requires bright, indirect light as the direct sunlight will fade away the foliage.
- These Purple Waffle plants thrive best in warm temperatures and humidity.
- It prefers fertile, moist, and well-drained soil.
- Max height: 0.50 to 0.75 feet
- Max width: 1.00 to 1.50 feet
Pot size: 3"
Plant Habit: Spreading
Hemigraphis colorata or Red Ivy plant Care Tips:
- Water Red Ivy plant regularly.
- Do not let the soil dries out completely. They are not drought tolerant.
- Overwatering can kill the plant.
- An occasional misting is required, to keep the plant humid.
- They grow best in high humidity.
- In addition, purple waffle plants are heavy feeders. They appreciate fertilizer regularly during their growth.
- Twice a month, give neem oil spray as preventive spray from the pest and insects.
Hemigraphis colorata or Red Ivy plant Special Features -
Red Ivy plant or Purple Waffle plants are low-maintenance plants, thus suitable for beginners.
- Toxic to pets and humans.
- Its vividly coloured foliage and patterns can add a lot of beauty to your home or garden.
- Red Ivy plant is a spectacular succulent species for your garden, balcony, or even in those dark, drab-looking corners.
- Will adds a decorative touch to window boxes, outdoor container gardens, and hanging baskets.
Note: The plant comes with a germination pot or bag (Pot size Approx. 4 to 6 inches). The image is for representation purposes only. The actual product may vary in height, shape, or appearance.